Wednesday, June 23, 2010

E.T.

The Takeaway: You will not get a lawsuit from a dear old friend even if your creature looks like his.

Format: DVD

How can a full grown man still cry at this movie? I kept asking myself that question while watching this time around. I get choked up every time I see it. You wanna know why? Spielberg is the master puppeteer and we are his puppets. He knows exactly how to get to us, and as I completed the trilogy of his early works (Jaws, Close Encounters, and E.T.) I realized just how truly incredible he was at that point of his career. He knows exactly how he wants us to feel or what to think at any given moment and carefully crafts the scene to deliver on his desire. I said it in a previous post - but this is a master craftsman at work at arguably the finest point of his or anyone's career.

What a treat to watch these three masterpieces to open the Summer Movies That Don't Suck event. My challenge to all budding filmmakers out there. Watch these films. Over and over. Til your eyes glaze over and possibly even bleed. Study the greats and we will have a new generation of filmmakers to be proud of. I realize how difficult Hollywood has made it. You need to figure out how to take the reins back. Wrestle control away from the executives and please - get us back to where we need to be. The revolution begins with you.

Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment