Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pulp Fiction

The Takeaway: There's a lot worse that can happen then a car crash. And if it does, always go with the samurai sword.

Format: DVD

The question of QT's masterpiece has come up quite a bit lately. With the last line of Inglourious Basterds, we know what the big Q thinks. After all, Brad Pitt stares into the camera and says, "Ya know I think this may be my masterpiece."

But what does it matter what he thinks? We should only be concerned with what I think. And I don't agree with Tarantino. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Inglourious Basterds. But in the future when we look back, Pulp Fiction will continue to be remembered as an industry gamechanger and the work of the Dr. Frankenstein of the film industry, who broke all the rules and made one of the greatest American films of all time.

Pulp Fiction is savage coolery; a most delicious, decadent, deluge of badassness, seasoned with slick dialogue and a kickin' soundtrack that makes ya feel like a pimp just listening to it. We all know how it took the world by storm when it first came out, but now - 16 years later - it continues to startle, to entertain, and to challenge the powers that be in Hollywood. Plus it has this line: "I'm prepared to scour the the Earth for that motherfucker. If Butch goes to Indochina, I want a nigga waitin' in a bowl of rice ready to pop a cap in his ass."

Enjoy, kiddies! It's Paris in Fall! That's two in a row, baby!

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! Dang, I wish I'd thought of the term "savage coolery"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alex. I love the flick so much and that term just came to me while watching it this time around - thought it best summed up the whole shebang.

    Cheers,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Pulp Fiction is one of Tarantino's best, but my favorite is Kill Bill 2. I think it's so badass, so slick, and so feminist. I also love the borrowed score.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know - those Kill Bill movies got me so excited about movies again after a few years of same-old, same-old. So yeah, I could totally see how you'd rank it up top. I've watched Volume 1 many times, but for some reason haven't watched 2 that much. In fact, my Volume 2 DVD is still in its plastic!

    You've inspired me - time to get down with a Kill Bill Double Feature! Dreamscape it up tonight, Trick R' Treat bluray is tomorrow; but I'll do Kill Bill Weds-Thurs!

    ReplyDelete