Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

The Takeaway: WHAT? Um... drugs are good, I guess?

Format: Bluray

First Time Screening. Let me say this first: Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite directors going these days. The man is a genius - so talented, so spirited - his battle with Universal over Brazil (one of my favorite films, in fact in my top ten) is legendary, and quite frankly inspiring. I love his work. Most of the time. This is not most of the time.

We've all heard the story - Heath died during production, others stepped in to finish the job. Not distracting as you might think, actually. What was distracting was the freaking mess of a screenplay. For those complaining about Iron Man 2's script - check out of this one, kiddies - it's a whole other ganja-smoking animal.

Honestly I cannot tell you what the film is about. Not one bit. And it wasn't trying to be elusive from what I could see. It just didn't congeal into much. It didn't capture me at all. Yes - the visuals were impressive and I definitely enjoyed that. In fact, the gorgeous sets and CGI and the acting from everyone involved, kept enough of my attention to get me through the film. But that was it. Here's hoping Gilliam returns to form now that he finally has The Man Who Killed Don Quixote off the ground. Try and enjoy, kiddies. It's a Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment