Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Firm

The Takeaway: Apparently you can get away with cheating on your wife just as long as she's told that it was a setup. Will someone PLEASE set me up? Sorry, sweetie - me writing that? I was setup. Yeah.

Format: Netflix Instant Streaming

First Time Screening. Cruise, Hackman, Holbrook, Harris, Brimley, Tripplehorn, Strathairn, Busey, Sorvino, Bell, Pollack = Major Talent. However, it doesn't necessarily = a great movie, as was proven with The Firm, a slightly boring, non-tension filled -> thriller, I guess they're calling it? Tom Cruise is, well, Tom Cruise. I find it hard to believe him as anything other than someone who smiles a whole heck of a lot. Certainly not as a Harvard educated lawyer. He's sorta like Tim Urban on this season of American Idol. Sure the kid can hold a tune, but what he really excels at is Gleaming White Teeth. Though I have to say, I've been really proud of him these last few weeks. Can't say the same for Tom Tom's performance here, which at times was as boring as the film he was in. Coincidence? You decide.

Hackman and Harris are top notch as always. Brimley made me smile just by being there. Holbrook was underused. Strathairn has so much going on in his eyes. Great actor. And the rest - well, ya know, competent performances. But a thriller is supposed to be dripping with tension and as I mentioned, there was little on display here. Sydney Pollack - the same guy who directed the masterful 3 Days of the Condor - must have been sleepwalking throughout production or something - this was a paint-by-numbers studio picture. Try and enjoy, kiddies. Wednesday. Definitely a Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment